Thursday 9 July 2015

The Hardest Thing is Sometimes Saying Goodbye

As pour myself into all things FIBRE ARTS, I've got this crazy idea that the hobby at some point has got to pay for itself.

My latest venture is into hand dyeing and painting (see previous posts).  As my summer is full of being a Mum and lots of time at the soccer pitch, I had to pass on my crazy idea of going to our local farmer's market to sell my wares, so, as I build up the nerve to open an etsy shop, I've created a small Facebook page to showcase (and try to sell) some of my crafts. There hasn't been too much activity there (mostly a few sales to friends and a custom Grumpy Cat ornament or two), but I see it as a good place to build up my confidence to start to turn this into a very modest money making venture.  That and a way to decrease my stash and make my husband stop raising his eyebrow at me when I talk about needing more yarn!

Today, I sold 2 of my favourite fingerling yarns: Crumpled Rainbow (above) and Stormy Lagoon (below).  A friend is buying them, To knit socks.  The perfect use for them.  But as happy as I am with my success, I'm finding it so tough to let them go. The colours are truly gorgeous.


 I was almost hoping that there wouldn't be interest so that I could make my own creations with these beauties.  I have the same problem when it comes to knitting projects: I grow attached.   After all the hours and care and attention invested in a project, it really is hard to say goodbye.  I'm such a tactile person that I need to be able to get my hands on something to truly appreciate it. I can't get the same satisfaction from a photo (or worse, seeing it on someone else!)  I guess with these beauties, I'll just have to find solace in the fact that I can visit the yarn and contribute to it's final form with needle and pattern suggestions. I know that my babies are in good hands.


Oh, and here's the custom Grumpy Cat (just for fun)



3 comments:

  1. I love the yarns - I'm keen to start dyeing myself some day, I can't get enough hand dyed yarn! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting over the idea that my hobbies had to pay for themselves somehow (by selling or gift giving or even being worthwhile as decorative or useful pieces in my home) was a hurdle I had to get over, too. Frankly, I'm still getting over it. It's sad because this mindset really squelches the whole creative process. Working on it, though... ;^)

    ReplyDelete